Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Christmas in July: Holly Swag Fence




I was checking out the challenge on the Cheery Lynn Designs blog, and this week's challenge is Christmas in July.  I love making Christmas cards!  For this card, I went with a wintery Christmas lights scene.  I started out by sponging some Stormy Sky distress ink on white cardstock, and then I sponged some Chipped Sapphire distress ink around the edges.  The falling snow is created by using a white gel pen and just adding dots here and there.  You could also use the new white Picket Fence distress ink marker to create the dots of snow.

I cut out some snow drifts with my scissors and sponged the very top edges with Chipped Sapphire distress ink.  I adhered the larger snow drift to the falling snow background, then added a Victorian Picket Fence (Cheery Lynn Designs) over that.  The Christmas Lights Swag (Cheery Lynn Designs) was die cut from black cardstock and red cardstock and added to the fence.  I wanted a little bit of greenery, so I die cut some Holly Lace Flourishes (Cheery Lynn Designs), snipped the leaves, and glued the leaves down on the fence.  I added some Red Rhinestones to the cluster of holly leaves in the center of the fence.  To give my fence the look of real snow falling on it, I used the Distress Fuzz technique from Technique Junkies and added pieces here and there.  A smaller snow drift was glued over the base of the fence and I used some word stickers at the bottom for a Christmas sentiment.

I'm entering this card into the following challenges:

Cheery Lynn Designs #35 - Christmas in July
Christmas Cards All Year 'Round - Christmas Flowers/Holly
Third Coast Challenges #1 - Deck our blog with Boughs of Holly
Through the Craft Room Door - Christmas in July
Hotshot Craft #9 - Distress Inks

I hope you have a safe and wonderful 4th of July today!  Happy Independence Day!


14 comments:

Leigh S-B - The Sharpie Domino Queen said...

What a wonderful Christmas card, love all the little details! Thanks for playing in our 1st Third Coast Creative Challenge!

Leigh
LeighSBDesigns.blogspot.com
Announcing the launch of Third Coast Creative Challenge blog, come join us!
tcrschallenge.blogspot.com

Crafting Queen said...

Really lovely card, great design. Thanks for joining the Third Coast challenge.

Maire Gamber said...

Your card is stunning. I love the way you created the sky! Thank you for joining us at THCRD!
Hugs,
Marie XX

Pia S said...

What a lovely Xmas card! I love how you made the sky - really wintery and a nice, cozy feel to it!

Jodi said...

super cute!!! LOVE it!!! Fabulous work with the inks!! Thank you for joining in the fun at Cheery Lynn Designs!

Allisa said...

Your fence scene is too cute! Love all the details you put into it. Thanks for playing with us at CCAYR!

Mynn xx said...

This is AWESOME!!! LOVE your fence--amazing card! :)

shulsart said...

Holly, what a lovely idea, it is so peaceful and serene. Good luck and thanks for joining in on the fun at Cheery Lynn Designs challenge blog.

Anonymous said...

Great card,the sky you've made is fabulous!.
Thanks for playing in the 1st Third Coast Creative Challenge!

bonniebluedenim said...

I love the fence and the string of lights, peaceful! Thanks for playing with Third Coast!

xxxtglxxx said...

This looks wonderful! What an amazing and clever card! :) Stunning!

Thanks so much for joining us at Cheery Lynn Designs challenge this week,

hugs

xxalisonxx

Cyndie said...

I love this card...I'm a newbie at card-making but I'm going to try to replicate. I guess I need to check out Cheery Lynn Designs!

Virginia said...

Great detail with the snowflakes! Thanks for your entry into our "Deck Our Blog With Boughs Of Holly" at Third Coast Rubber Stamps!

Barbara said...

This card is stunning - I absolutely love it!